Council tax: ‘Our logo is on the bill but we’re not getting the funding’ Funding for police and crime commissioners (PCCs) now takes up a greater proportion of many council tax bills than funding for the council issuing the...Read More
Enhancing quality of life
Districts play a crucial role as local leaders who are on the side of residents. Our priorities are shaped by our understanding of and engagement with local communities. Districts protect and enhance quality of life by safeguarding our environment, promoting public health and leisure and creating attractive places to live, work and raise families.
The project group
The workstreams are currently undergoing a refresh, and an update will be posted shortly.
Our workplan priorities include:
- Continuing to build evidence and lobby government to allow districts to raise a prevention precept
- Seeking to influence and respond to the social care green paper to ensure the district role in reducing the burden on adult social care is fully recognised by the Government
- Building strong relationships with sector partners, including Public Health England and the NHS
- Continuing to promote the district role in place-based health and wellbeing; showcasing examples of community leadership, effective partnership working, innovative and sustainable provision of leisure facilities, maintaining high quality green spaces and supporting local cultural activities.
- Continuing to promote and encourage bids to relevant funding streams, including Sport England
- Promoting the work of the Healthy Towns and Villages Network
Districts’ expertise must be embraced if Hunt’s growth plan is to be optimised
Districts’ expertise must be embraced if Hunt’s growth plan is to be optimised Jeremy Hunt’s Budget has the potential to empower local places to drive growth if the Government embraces the unique power of district councils – as the most...Read More
‘New funding will save many leisure centres – for now’
The District Councils’ Network is pleased that the Government has listened to our call to support the crisis-hit leisure sector. As part of the Spring Budget, the Treasury has announced a one-year £63m fund will support leisure centres with pools,...Read More
First anniversary of Homes for Ukraine: councils discuss their support for Ukrainians
The anniversary of the Homes for Ukraine scheme being launched has highlighted the work of councils to help support Ukrainians escaping war. English councils have strived to offer sanctuary to nearly 86,000 Ukrainians who have fled Putin’s invasion under the...Read More
District councils will thrive with financial freedom
District councils will thrive with financial freedom There is a balance to be struck between financial prudence and securing future growth opportunities, writes Kelly Watson, Head of Local Government Relationships at CCLA, in response to a CCLA/DCN roundtable on district...Read More