The All Party Parliamentary Group for District Councils
The APPG will work to promote the interests of district councils, support closer working with Parliamentarians and to raise awareness of the opportunities for districts in shaping the evolving local government agenda.
In terms of its wider remit, the APPG for District Councils will, in the context for increased devolution of powers from Whitehall and an emerging landscape of public service reform and transformation, look to;
- raise awareness of the key role that Districts play in the day-to-day lives of the 22 million residents they serve and their closeness to their communities;
- examine the opportunities for Districts in devolution, in particular on the themes of growth and health and wellbeing;
- and raise greater awareness among parliamentarians of collaboration among district clusters and explore the future opportunities of these partnerships.
To develop greater understanding, the APPG will undertake the following activities:
- Hold a regular series of meetings involving MPs and peers, experts and stakeholders to investigate and debate the transformational delivery of public services in district areas in relation to health and wellbeing and economic and housing growth
- Hold inquiries into areas of special interest
- Deliver briefings to Parliamentarians on legislation that has an impact on district councils and the functional economic and geographic areas they cover
- Serve as a point of reference for Parliamentarians seeking greater knowledge of district areas and the services and functions delivered by district councils.
Pictures taken from the inaugural APPG for District Councils Parliamentary reception, 13 June 2016
[vc_gallery type=”image_grid” images=”439,440,441,442,443,444,445,446,447,448,449,450,451,452,453,457,458,459,609,610,611,612,613,614″ img_size=”144×144″]