DCN responds to Queen’s SpeechJune 21, 2017
New Chair and Vice Chair of DCN Chief Executive’s Group announcedJuly 7, 2017
- The new Chairman of the District Councils’ Network has been confirmed today as Cllr John Fuller.
- Cllr Fuller, who is Leader of South Norfolk District Council, takes over from Cllr Neil Clarke, who is stepping down having served the maximum term under the DCN’s constitution.
- The announcement was made at the DCN’s Annual General Meeting, which took place in conjunction with the Local Government Association’s annual conference, in Birmingham today.
- Cllr Fuller said: “I am delighted to be confirmed as Chairman of the cross party District Councils’ Network.
- “There has never been a more important moment for the District Councils’ Network to have strong leadership that promotes and protects our role in delivering the ‘doorstep’ issues that matter most to communities at a scale that they can recognise and relate to.
- “Districts are integral to the UK’s future prosperity as the planning, housing and local growth authorities. It is natural they play a pivotal role in growing the national economy one local economy at a time. Districts councils are the key building blocks of local housing market economic and commuting geographies which will underpin the Government’s Modern Industrial Strategy.
- “District councils in particular value the incentives to grow their local economies whilst ensuring there are safety nets for those other areas.
- “In addition, districts also ensure that no one gets left behind by intervening for the homeless and promoting wellbeing by addressing the complex needs of today whilst attempting to prevent the social problems of tomorrow.
- “Districts protect and enhance quality of life by safeguarding our environment, promoting public health and leisure, whilst creating attractive places to live, raise families and build a bigger economy.”
- Cllr Fuller added: “I want a DCN that strengthens links with Government and Parliament so our contribution is recognised. It is also essential that we build on the success of our first DCN conference to increase the participation of all councils in the network.
- “This will give more opportunities for councils to showcase and learn from innovative ideas so that we can all make life better for everyone.”
- DCN has also confirmed the following Vice Chairs for each group as: Cllr Tom Beattie (Corby) for the Labour Group; Cllr Paul Smith (Colchester) for the Liberal Democrat Group; and Cllr Stuart Selleck (Elmbridge) for the Independent Group.
The District Councils’ Network is a member led network of 200 district councils. We are a Special Interest Group of the Local Government Association (LGA), and provide a single voice for district councils within the LGA and to Central Government.
- The District Councils’ Network was established in 2009 and works on behalf of all district councils nationwide.
- 200 district councils are represented on the Network’s Assembly by council leaders nationwide.
- An elected group of leaders represent the district councils nationwide on a 22-strong Member Board.
- A corresponding group of Chief Executives represent councils on the Chief Executives Group. http://districtcouncils.info/ Twitter: @districtcouncil