Home Options - High Peak
The local need
The borough of High Peak is situated in rural Derbyshire with a large proportion of it within the boundaries of the Peak District National Park.
Affordable housing within the borough is at a premium with over 3,500 households on its old waiting list and only 350 vacancies each year.
The old waiting list operated a points system which was extremely difficult to understand. This often caused confusion and frustration amongst customers, staff and councillors alike.
The vision was www.Home-Options.org - a sub-regional choice based lettings (CBL) system which was easy to access and understand by all across High Peak and Derbyshire Dales.
- To offer real information about the availability of social rented housing within the area.
- To offer meaningful feedback to applicants so that they may make informed housing choices.
- To make Home-Options the hub for all housing related advice and information across all sectors by adopting the principles of an options based approach.
To bring together two local authority areas (High Peak and Derbyshire Dales) and the two main landlords in the sub-region High Peak Community Housing Ltd (ALMO) and Dales Housing (LSVT).
- To involve over 20 other registered social landlords across the sub-region.
- To engage the community, customers, councillors, staff and a variety of other stakeholder agencies and raise an awareness of Choice Based Lettings.
- To ensure that vulnerable people were not disadvantaged by Choice Based Lettings.
- To completely modernise and change the way we do things in terms of allocation of property.
- To encourage greater use of IT amongst our customers
- Common allocation policy, Common on-line housing register that automatically prioritises cases. Approx 7,000 households across the Home-Options partnership, Common methods of application (web & form), Common methods of bidding (phone, web, sms, staff & postal coupon), Common methods of advertising properties, Mutual exchange register
- Over 1,500 properties advertised so far across the partnership, attracting 23,000 bids.
- Found homes for over 900 households in its first year of operation across the Home-Options area with many more lined up.
- Amber Valley Borough Council and Amber Valley Housing have joined Home-Options
- Development of a homelessness prevention module to link with Choice Based Lettings
- E-CORE reporting to be launched.
- Advertising of private rented accommodation
- Links to new landlord accreditation scheme
- Erewash Borough Council and Three Valleys Housing to join the Home-Options partnership.
- CBL data analysis project with DTZ and Locata
- Links to dedicated housing options web site for over 55’s.
- Annual review of Home-Options to ensure we are never standing still and always improving.
Senior Housing Options Co-ordinator
0845 129 8075 ext 4436